Classically trained musician – flute, piccolo, alto flute
I’m one of the organisers and the woodwind fixer for Regents Opera (formerly Fulham Opera) orchestral study days (2013-) and Weekend Opera Workshops (2021-). I also fix individual orchestral musicians or whole woodwind sections on a freelance basis for various other groups and events. (Usual rate: £10/player (advance), £15 (<2 weeks notice), £20 (<2 days notice), special arrangements for charities and friends.) If you are a woodwind or other instrumental player interested in future workshops or an event organiser in need of my musician fixing service, contact me.
London Flutes mailing list
I run a mailing list for amateur and semi-pro flute players in and around London, on which I forward one-off playing opportunities (mostly unpaid) as and when they occur, e.g. dep needed for short-notice rehearsal/concert cover, auxiliary players needed for large-scored work, etc. Members can email me the message that they wish to be forwarded, and I’ll send it out whenever I next have opportunity. This is a free service I provide for the benefit of all flute players who aren’t getting as much orchestral playing as they’d like. To get the link to join the mailing list, contact me.
Background & regular playing
I read Music (and Maths) at Royal Holloway, University of London and have studied flute with Simon Desorgher and Anna Pope. My performance specialism was early to mid 20th century repertoire. I was also a founder of the university’s Contemporary Music Group, and particularly like working with current and new composers on unusual projects as well as standard orchestral and chamber repertoire.
- Amici Orchestra (principal flute in regular charity fundraising concerts 2008-)
- London City Philharmonic (2nd flute & piccolo 2021-)
- New Palace Opera (principal flute 2017-)
- Fulham Opera (now Regents Opera) (flute in many reduced-score shows 2012-21)
- Saffron Opera Group (2nd flute & piccolo 2014-)
- Auxiliary/guest/part-time player with many orchestras and opera/theatre companies in London and beyond. Extensive orchestral experience in various settings, including stepping in to cover challenging parts at short notice and/or on minimal rehearsals.
Selected collaborations & recordings
- Tamara Douglas-Morris: Flute on The Birds
- Jocelyn Campbell: Flute on ‘Green Border’ (orchestral, live recording of world premiere)
- Peter Fender Flute or piccolo on all orchestral works on the album Speechless
- Blanc Canvas Flute on ‘Positivity’ from the album Blanc Canvas
- Master Pi Flute + piccolo on ‘In a Moment’ from the album Master Pi
- Kat Vipers Flute + piccolo on ‘Just Like Jerry Lee’ from the album Hot Air Balloon
- David Freeman Penny whistle on ‘Part Time Father’ from the album Going Out Without Makeup and ‘Good People’ (single)
- David Lyon Penny whistle on ‘Birds Fly, Fish Swim’ (single)
- Orchestral recording excerpts available on request.
I love playing bass flute but do not currently have my own instrument, so borrow or hire when required – thus a little more warning is needed. I have also been known to double on various saxes, recorders, penny whistles, piano/keyboards, percussion, and sing (choral alto/tenor, backing vocals) as and when required.
I have some experience arranging music, taking sectional rehearsals and as an assistant conductor for amateur orchestras, choruses and chamber groups.
Get in touch if you think you might want me for your music project.